Wednesday, April 15, 2015

All of the enthusiasm. None of the time

Since I traded off my tomb kings, I now have LOT of unpainted orcs. Aside from a bunch of black orc, savage orcs, wolf riders, spider riders, and boar riders, I picked up another doom diva and a couple of rock lobbas. Looking forward to working those into my list once they're painted. I especially like the named savage shaman (whose name I forgot). I'm working on a raised base for him. What I did not get was mangler squigs.

So what did I do? I decided to make my own. Sadly, I did not document the process well. To start, I ordered some 60 mm bases and bought some sculpey. Making the body of a big-ass squig was easy, but the legs, feet, and teeth were not so easy.

The first one came out passable, though i wasn't happy with the feet, and I made him with a closed mouth to solve the teeth problem. I inserted a human hand sticking out of one side of the mouth and a foot sticking out of the other, It came out...okay.

The second one almost got thrown away. The feet were awful, I baked the sculpey too long, and the whole thing sagged forward in the oven, giving the bending the poorly sculpted feet. Instead of trashing it, I broke the feet off at the arch and re-sculpted them out of green stuff. It was far easier to make squig toes and claws with green stuff than sculpey.I added a skaven head and hand sticking out of the mouth t round it out. It looked so much better that I repeated the process with the first one.

So I've finally got these two awesome squigs and no time to paint.

No comments: